Saturday, June 13, 2009

Don't underestimate a nerd

Here I am back on my laptop sitting in happy yuppie-ville next to my wife on her laptop. It took most of the afternoon, but I now have a new hard drive and Windows XP on my machine. I still have the task of restoring all my documents from the backup drive and re-installing the software I want. (Already have Firefox, of course.) The only thing that I am worried about is that the hard drive makes a low-pitched chirp (like the Barry White of crickets) every time it accesses something. I will email the company I bought it from to see if I should return it for a new one.

But it is nice to be booting up in a few minutes and able to surf the web with alacrity. Hopefully it will still be decent once I reinstall Office and the other necessities of modern life.

It was amusing to watch all of the Microsoft propaganda pop up on the screen as it installed. "Windows XP is the best version of Windows ever!" "Think of all the security, convenience and performance options" Given the bad reputation of Vista, that may still be true.

I should write more, but there are internets to read!

1 comment:

Alissa said...

Hate. Vista.

That is all.