Sunday, August 10, 2008

The End of the Journey

The four month saga is now over. Kelly and I are officially Californians and only Californians. Our house in Dayton sold on Thursday.

At the moment, I feel okay about that. I think on one hand, it hasn't completely sunk in. Hell, there is a part of me that doesn't really believe my parents moved out of the old homestead. I know they have been living in a new place for six years, but there is a part of my brain that thinks I could swing by the old place and walk in the back door like nothing had changed.

On the other hand, the house had become a source of worry and frustration. The challenge of trying to sell it while at distance has been very frustrating. Getting it ready nearly finished off my wife. And the size of the rent payments out here made selling it imperative.

On the left foot (I ran out of hands), I think I may have had my bad moments. The worst was the day that I signed the lease for our new house. I woke up at 2 AM, and something about the sounds and the light through the doorway made me think I was back in our bedroom in Dayton. When I realized I wasn't and that I never would be again, a wave of immense sadness swept over me.

On the right foot, we are finally getting our feet under us out here. I am glad that we grabbed this house when we had the chance. We were lucky to get it. It is also to good to finally stop feeling so impermanent. As nice as the corporate apartment was, the knowledge that it was temporary kept us from settling in. Now we have a place we know we will be for a while. Our stuff is out of storage and around us. With every passing day it feels a little more like home. It is a place we can start bringing friends into and building new memories with.

1 comment:

carol said...

Michael/Kelly,

I would love to tell you that Bill and I were the ones who bought your house (SURPRISE!!!), but that would only be in our dreams. I know how much you loved that house, but try and focus on the single mortgage payment that you get in exchange. And, isn't there a beach somewhere around there??? There's not one here, I've been looking.

I also plan to boycott UPS in your honor (and my fear of anything CLOSE to what you had to deal with). Perhaps the ink stains force you into a new California wardrobe. A new you? Flip flops and bermudas?

Well, next entry in the blog must be good news. I'm glad you find humor in everything. You find humor and you give it to everyone else. That's the way everyone should do. See ya (soon???)