Thursday, March 12, 2009

Book Recommendation Time



I just finished reading "On Being Certain. Believing You Are Right Even When You Are Not." by Robert Burton. Absolutely fascinating.

Why are so many people certain of things even when all the facts are contravening? Are they stupid or willfully ignorant? Why is one of those people occasionally staring back at me from the mirror?

The premise of the book is that logical reasoning and assessment of certainty take place in two separate parts of the brain. The "feeling of knowing" is more of a subconscious assessment than a deliberate weighing of facts and probabilities.

An example from the book. On the day after the Challenger explosion, a professor had freshman students write down what they thought and what they felt. Then when the students were seniors, he asked them to write down how they remembered feeling on the day after the Challenger explosion. In many cases, the two accounts were notably different. The interesting thing is that even when presented with their own recollections, many students disagreed that that was what they were feeling at the time. On student even says, "That's my handwriting, but that's not what happened."

The feeling of knowing can be present even without knowledge... "I know that guy's name, I just can't remember it right now." The feeling of knowing can be absent in the presence of knowledge... I know that I live 2500 miles away from my family but at some level it still doesn't seem real.

The author wanders around explaining how the brain works to produce this sensation and this part is a little tough to read... partly because he is telling me things that I "know" to be false. "My conscious thoughts are not some tip of the iceberg floating on vast body of shrouded cogitation hidden from view even to myself."

I plan on reading this book a second time to try and make some more sense of sections, but it has been very thought provoking. I also recommend Descarte's Error in this milieu, which I read many years ago.

1 comment:

Kelly said...

Does this explain the "we shall be equals in all things" thing?